This is an overall wholesome one pot/instant pot meal. Brown Rice Shrimp Biryani, will become your new favorite weeknight food. It is quite a surprise to me that the instant pot rice mode works with almost the same time with both white and brown rice. The results with brown rice is always pretty amazing for me.
The week ended in a somewhat unsettling manner. The weekend served well in restoring all the equilibrium back. Thank god for weekends.
As with regular rice, my brown rice of choice is Brown Basmati. The rice grains are longer and the texture softer. At least that is how it feels in my humble opinion. I have been thinking of soup, a humble comforting soup. All to be done with extra bits and pieces of vegetables in my house.
Shrimp is one of my pantry staples – I always keep some in my freezer for a rainy day. Make that snowy day or even long week at work kind of Friday. I think you get the gist. Last night I made two one pot meals – pescetarian for the daughter and chicken for the son. Weekend meals are meant to be different in our house. A break from the usual stuff they eat. Most evenings, when I get back is unpredictable. I have basic make ahead stuff for them. Simple veggies, dal and homemade yogurt that forms the essence of their meals.
This seemed to the perfect thing to cobble together, as I showered and sorted through the evening. I spent the morning driving the teen between two robotics meetings. She has had a long weekend as well, but is feeling satisfied with her progress in both the teams. And now for the simple and practical Biryani recipe. I hope that the upcoming week is a good one.
An easy wholesome shrimp biryani made in the instant pot with brown rice.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 1 large stick (about 3 inches) cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and de-viened
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 and 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon ghee (optional)
- Additional chopped nuts
- Chopped cilantro
- Turn the instant pot to the saute mode and add in the onions and cook the onions until they are soft and pale golden.
- Add in the ginger and garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add in the garam masala, red cayenne pepper, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and the shrimp and mix well.
- Add in the tomato sauce, brown basmati rice and the water.
- Stir in the salt, raisins and the chopped nuts.
- Cancel the saute mode and cover and place the pot on the rice setting.
- Let the rice cook and do a natural pressure release.
- Remove the lid and stir well and add in the ghee if using.
- Garnish with the nuts and raisins and serve hot.