Chicken Tikka is sometimes a rather confusing concept, however it is actually an extremely versatile recipe from my kitchen, I used these tandoori spice marinated morsels for almost anything that I can think of, chicken salad, tacos, and of course we enjoy this wonderful kebab for just what it is, a lovely succulent piece of deliciousness. I usually make my own tandoori masala and have shared the recipe with you below, however, I have also had good results with commercial brands, SWAD, tends to be a favorite.
Ever had one of those mornings when you just did not want to get out of bed, or actually you get out of bed but then want to kind of progress about doing everything else in this super slow and lazy manner. Maybe it’s the rainy weather we have been blessed with most of spring, (I am one of those few people who actually do not mind the rain, although I love the spring sunshine, too!), or maybe it’s just keeping up with the early mornings that I end up with keeping tandem with my son.
Speaking of my son, his new favorite recipe is what he calls red lemon chicken – this is nothing other than the bright red tandoori chicken one finds in Indian restaurants our neck of the woods. I make this at home with my own mixture, the color is unfortunately not quite as bright as he would like however he is usually happy since I usually make chicken tikka ( boneless tandoori chicken) and he gets extra-lime that he gets to squeeze himself. While this kid does not share our late sleeping habits, he does inherit our love for garlic and lime/lemon.
Along with the recipe, check out the video for making chicken tikka,
A classic recipe for boneless tandoori chicken, or chicken tikka, which is one of the best ways to enjoy grilled chicken.
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 large piece (about 1 inch piece peeled)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 tomato (optional)
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tandoori masala (see recipe)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Cooking oil or spray
- Sliced onions
- Lemon or Lime Wedges
- Place the yogurt, ginger, garlic, chilies, tomato, fenugreek, tandoori masala and salt in a blender and grind into a paste.
- Mix with the chicken and tandoori marinade prepared above and set aside for 2-3 hours to marinade (the flavors improves with longer marination).
- Skewer the chicken onto bamboo skewers.
- Place a grill pan on the the stove (this is what I use on weeknights, a regular grill or broiling works well as well) and spray evenly with the cooking spray.
- Place the chicken on the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes and turn (the chicken should have golden brown spots across the chicken.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the sliced onions and toss for 2-3 minutes till the onions are slightly sauteed.
- Sprinkle with sumac and serve with lemon or lime
Tandoori Masala Recipe
Makes 3/4 cup
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 tablespoons cumin seeds
4 dried red chillies (optional)
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon carom seeds
2-3 sticks cinnamon
Method of Preparation
- Lightly toast the spices for 2 minutes.
Grind to a powder in the spice mill or coffee grinder.
Store in a cool dry place and use as needed.