I had sampled this Delhi Chicken Curry with Fennel and Ginger on a vacation. The spicing was delicate and ever so subtle and the technique was cooking meat on the bone low and slow. But wait, it does not stop there, this fall off the bone tender meat is pulled from the bone dunked back into the cooking liquid. A generous dollop of thick yogurt is whipped in and you have a meal fit for a king.
Now let me share my guilty pressure with you.
I had about 45 minutes to make dinner, and today is Sunday, which basically means is family dinner day! Aka, a blasphemy if yours truly does no deliver a decent and reasonably delicious meal. Well, this is where the instapot aka electric pressure cook helped. Anyone who knows me, by now probably realizes that my kitchen like most Indian kitchens thrive on pressure cooking. The electric pressure cooker ups the ante since I do not need to attend to the food being cooked.
Using the seasonings of the original dish, and boneless chicken thighs this dish comes together pretty quickly. I follow it with stirring in thick yogurt and the result was pretty good. My double guilty pleasure was cooking rice also in the instant pot resulting in the 45 minute meal that made all parties happy.
Life has been busy but peaceful and happy. A comfortable state of calm, and I am trying to ease back into a more regular posting schedule on this wonderful site. All things being equal it has been a summer of busy tranquility – oxymoron maybe, but sums up my relationship with summer this year well. We have even had our first cucumbers to combat the sweltering heat that we had a few days ago. Life is interesting and bring surprises when we least expect them.
A delicately seasoned very tender chicken curry done in 30 minutes in the insta-pot.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium sized red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat he oil and add the cumin seeds and the grated ginger and saute for a few seconds in the base of an instapot or electric pressure cooker.
- Add in the onion and saute for 6 minutes. Add in the red cayenne pepper and ground fennel and the chicken and mix well. Add in the salt and 1/4 cup of water.
- Cover and cook for 12 minutes under pressure (insta pot poultry setting).
- Cool and remove the lid. Beat the yogurt and mix into the hot chicken. Test for seasonings and stir in the cilantro and serve hot.