This morning I had super baking success in the form of a Giant Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
Cake. It is no secret that I am not much of a baker. So, baking success makes me super giddy sort of happy. The inspiration this morning was many sorts of things. It was Aadi’s 12th birthday, so something sweet was in order. We have pretty much been celebrating from Friday, so much for a solemn good Friday! Actually the weather has been so amazing! It has been difficult to feel solemn in any shape or form.
Starting from the fact, that this was an impromptu and unexpected holiday, everything else seems to be falling right in place today. Imagine, if you are woken by this sight, first thing in the morning. Wouldn’t you look out at the clear blue spring sky and count your blessings?
So, this giant Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
Cake is an amazing find, adapted from the recipe here, it was so easy and quick to put together, I actually made two variations – one with Oatmeal and one without.
Of course, as luck would have it the kids and hubby liked the version with oatmeal and I sort of liked the sans oatmeal variety. Ok, I liked them both, but preferred the sans oatmeal version a teeny bit more.
I also had no all purpose flour, so I ended up using whole wheat pastry flour, tiny bit more score for healthy. Other things going for this cookie cake are that it feels like a cake but gets done really quickly (about 20 minutes). It also really tasted great with a glass of milk, almost making it a possibility for breakfast, at least I can hope? As you know, nothing makes me happier than adding to my meager collection of baked desserts, especially an easy breezy addition.
A lovely easy to make giant chocolate cookie cake.
- 1/2 cup softened salted butter
- 1/2 cup brown turbinado sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter, sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the whole wheat pastry flour, cornstarch and rolled oats and the baking powder and baking soda and mix well. Add in the milk and mix to form a soft dough.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the giant cookie is golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly and serve.