Stir Fried Carrots and Greens Beans is a super simple recipe. It has been sitting in my drafts forever, I decided it was time for it to see the light of day. I am no new convert to the pressure cooker, however, until recently I never really cooked veggies in the pressure cooker. The ability to time my cooking in the instant pot has helped me make that leap. A dish like these Stir Fried Carrots and Greens beans is very important to balance out your weekend night palate. If you are looking for a super quick seasonal side for your Thanksgiving table look no further. Let me tell you, there are plenty worse ways to do your green beans.
I had made this one of the evenings when mom was visiting. This even made her give the electric pressure cooker a second look. With a few basic seasonings, these veggies are cooked to fork tender perfection. I use fairly typical Bengali spices, nigella seeds, ginger, red onions and red pepper flakes. Honestly you can cook up almost any vegetable in your repertoire with these basic spices. Think turnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets and almost anything else that your heart fancies. It is great with a simple dal over fresh hot steaming rice. Perfect with hot fluffy flat breads.
I am nursing a cough of sorts. Story of my life… The one quiet weekend I get after so many hectic ones. Nonetheless, dinner needs to happen. It is simple dishes like this that form the mainstay of the everyday Bengali table. Wholesome dishes, that fit in almost everywhere. It is this essential simplicity of home cooking that I look for on days when I feel a little run down. This week was however relatively calmer at work. The kind of calm that offers time to savor a simple supper.
A flavorful Bengali style stir fry with Carrots and Green Beans.
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or canola oil
- 1 medium sized red onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds or panchphoron
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 large carrots, peel and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed and chopped to match the carrots
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in the base of your instant pot or electric pressure cooker and add in the onions and nigella seeds. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the ginger, carrots, green beans and salt and mix well.
- Cover the vegetables, turn the pressure to the manual setting and cook for 3 minutes. Let the steam release naturally and remove the lid.
- Stir in the crushed red pepper flakes and serve.