This is a fulfilling week on various fronts. I have managed to complete all kinds of things that I had started doing without feeling overwhelmed. It is comforting much like this soothing bowl of Tuscan White Bean Soup.
I made this soup last Saturday, when the weather was at is super chilly well below freezing best. My very new vegetarian daughter is making sure that I am glad I love beans and legumes. This is a simple and super nourishing soup and can be made vegan by simply skipping the freshly grated Parmesan.
At heart, this recipe is about white beans, tomatoes and a few key vegetables. We do not usually have celery in our house so I have used chopped green pepper. Some greens are always a good idea, I have used seasonal freshly chopped chard. I did make this in my instant pot. I have made this several times in a regular pressure cooker or the stove top would work just fine. On a rice roll, did I say alliteration?
A lot of fun cooking going on as usual. This year is trickier with winter produce. It has been so frightfully cold, I have not been able to visit any of the just started local farmer’s markets. We did not really have too much this year to freeze so the winter will be full of wholesome spartan fare. I had soaked the beans for about a couple hours which is optional. The soaking helped me get the whole thing together in about 30 minutes done in the instant pot.
I always use pressure cookers for cooking lentils, and am a believer of soaking them just a little. It helps for more uniform cooking and of course helps remove some of the more complex difficult to digest sugars.
A hearty Tuscan White Bean Soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 and 1/2 cups cannelloni beans (I had soaked them for a couple of hours)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped jarred tomatoes (I use the Pomi brand)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale, spinach or swiss chard
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Turn the instant pot to the saute mode. Add the oil and add in the chopped onion and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and bell peppers with the chopped thyme and rosemary.
- Add in the cannelloni beans, salt, water and chopped tomatoes.
- Add in the crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cancel the saute mode.
- Set the instant pot to the soup/bean setting for 25 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Stir in the chopped greens and mix well.
- Serve in soup bowls garnished with the parmigiano reggiano.