I have wanted to make some Broccoli Cheddar Soup for the longest time, however, the sheer richness has been a little daunting. Yes, even I have my limits. We are currently experiencing beyond perfect soup weather, and I have broccoli in the house. How can I not do some broccoli soup. On a different note, I cannot am the proud owner of an immersion blender and then some. I had a Cuisinart, but, was not impressed with the power but this time we are in business.
It complements my now loved instant pot very well. I found part of this recipe, somehow, I had a difficult time getting to the entire recipe. I naturally added my own touches of flavor with good results. These touches of flavor included a nice dose of ginger and a tiny bit of cayenne. Just a little bit to add heat to the system. I am always skeptical of these lightness hacks, in my mind they are never as good as the real deal. So, the business of adding pureed brown rice, is interesting. It yields a pretty comforting full bodied soup. I can see this hack being used again in my kitchen. Yeah! Another excuse to indulge in my favorite Cabot extra sharp cheddar.
People say early days are indicative of an year. With three days under its belt so far I like 2018. Having said that, let us give it a few more days. Santa was good to me, in addition to the mentioned blender I got two other toys, I shall share my toy stories later. I just signed up for #cook90. mostly to help myself organize my meals. Yes, I cook enough, but never really plan it all. This often results in more bought lunches and wasted food at home. So, trying to stomach my own cooking for an change so to speak.
A lighter take on a broccoli cheddar soup, livened up with some spice.
- 3 cups broth (can be chicken)
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound coarsely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- Several grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Crushed Red Pepper flakes to serve
- Place the broth and the brown rice in the instant pot and cook on the multi grain setting for 10 minutes, release the pressure and cool and puree. Alternately simmer on low heat in a covered pot for 30 minutes and puree.
- Turn the instant pot to a saute setting and add the oil, onion ad garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Add in the chopped broccoli, pureed rice, milk, salt, ginger and the black pepper.
- Cover and cook on manual pressure for 5 minutes and let the pressure release naturally after 10 minutes.
- Stir the soup well, and coarsely puree with an immersion blender.
- Stir in the cheese and stir well.
- Serve hot garnished with crushed red pepper if using.
- If you want to cook this on the stove top, simmer on the stove top for about 25 minutes and follow the same steps.