I am pretty excited about the recipe redux Wonderful pistachios context. A whole lot of fun receiving the free samples of Wonderful Pistachios. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe
contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest.
All that aside, this recipe is a simple, flavorful and creamy pesto that is vegan to boot.
The broccoli meshes in well with the protein rich pistachios. The pistachios are known as The Fit NutTM. They are one of the highest protein and fiber snack nuts that are part of a heart-healthy lifestyle. For this recipe I used unsalted, un-shelled pistachios. I did have some time on hand, as the pistachios do need to be shelled before using. The un-roasted nuts provide a nice clean taste. It is interesting to learn that people eating in-shell pistachios eat smaller portions. Apparently the leftover shells provide a visual cue for fullness. I am inclined to think that it might be because they are tired of shelling their pistachios.
This is my first time using broccoli in pesto. Paired with these colorful, anti-oxidant rich pistachios this pasta screams healthy. The recipe uses whole wheat spaghetti The stronger texture works much better with the assertive flavors of garlic and citrus in my recipe. We do pasta at least once a week in our house. When it comes to pasta, as with everything the Instant pot is a game changer. The surprise element is fresh mandarine juice adding a touch of brightness to the denser broccoli.
Done in a single pot, no draining, done in 2 minutes. I
could get am so used to this. This week I have a refrigerator full of good things, but, the week promises to be a formidable one in terms of cooking. Need to prep and have enough meals to last the brood for about 2 weeks. There will be freezing involved! Yes, I am stating the obvious. I often think aloud, or in this case write aloud when I plan various things. All things considered I eventually get my act together and cobble plans together. I might even succeed doing a meal planning guide.
The best part of this dish is that the creamy texture of the pistachios masked the generous amount of broccoli used in this recipe.
A creamy vegan healthy recipe for whole wheat pasta with a pistachio and broccoli pesto.
- 8 oz dried whole wheat spaghetti
- Salt and Water for cooking
- 1/2 cup (about 10 ounces) shelled unsalted Wonderful pistachios
- 2 cups brocolli chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh mandarin orange juice (about 1 to 2 oranges)
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- A few grape tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon crushed pistachios
- If like me you are using the instant pot for the pasta, place the pasta with about 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of salt in the instant pot. Set to cook for 2 minutes on low pressure. Release the steam after 5 minutes. The pasta should absorb any excess water. While all this is happening, make the broccoli pistachio pesto.
- Alternately place water in a large cooking pot. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to boil Once it is boiling. Add the whole wheat spaghetti and cook for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander. If you are using this method make the pesto first.
- To make the pesto, add the pistachios, broccoli, garlic, salt, mandarin orange juice and olive oil in a blender. Pulse a few times to get the ingredients moving. Gradually blend to a smooth paste adding in up to 1/4 cup water.
- Toss the pesto into the hot pasta and mix well. Stir in the parsley and tomatoes (if using). Serve immediately topped with crushed pistachios.